Students in Years 7 and 8 study a semester unit that gives them opportunities to explore the diversity of the creative arts and develop basic skills in Art, Dance, Drama and Music. There is also an optional semester course of Beginner Band, for Year 7 students who would like to begin to learn a woodwind, brass or percussion instrument.
In Years 9 and 10 students may elect to study one or more subjects from the Arts. The courses offered include Music, Visual Art, Graphic Design, Dance and Drama.
Melrose High School offers the following subjects from the Arts:
- Visual Arts - focused on developing the conceptual, theoretical and technical skills students need to transform their ideas into art
- Music - students develop practical and performance skills, manipulate the elements of music in compositions and learn about the written language of music
- Dance - aim to increase students' understanding of dance skills, the use of safe techniques and how to utilise choreographic devices and elements to create aesthetically pleasing movement
- Drama - provides students with experiences that stimulate the intellect, the emotions, the imagination and the body. Drama skills are developed through expression, performance, observation and reflection.
- Photography - offered to Year 9 and 10 students, this course aims to increase students' understanding of photographic skills, exploring the technical and artistic aspects of digital photography
- Backstage Production - a specialised elective class offered to Year 9 and 10 students. This course covers all areas of live sound, lighting, audio-visual, stage management and stagehand work using industry standard equipment.
Entertainment Night is held at the end of Semester One each year and gives Dance, Drama, Music and Visual Arts students the opportunity to showcase various bodies of work they have created, rehearsed, composed, designed and choreographed. Students are involved in all aspects of organising, promoting and running the event. This provides them with real world cross-curricular learning opportunities in a variety of different professional settings. Family and friends come together to watch, listen and experience the skills students have learned and to celebrate their success.
Concert Band and Instrumental Program
The Melrose High School Concert Band is open to all students in Years 7-10 who play a woodwind, brass or percussion instrument. The band performs at the National Eisteddfod, Floriade, school assemblies and formal school functions.
Private instrumental lessons are available to all students on piano, guitar, woodwind and brass instruments. The lessons are provided at the school by highly qualified visiting teachers.
- Arts Camp, Music Camp, Dance Camp, Drama production showcase, Dance Festival, Floriade, professional theatre productions, major gallery exhibitions, dance workshops.